As you may know, the number of Iranian dissidents living outside of Iran who are on INTERPOL’s list is growing. In recent days, PRESSTV aired a segment that showed photos of well-known dissident and human rights activist Ahmad Batebi and stated that the Islamic regime had filed Batebi’s name with INTERPOL, as well as the name of Keyvan Rafi’ei, another well-known human rights activist.
I have written the below initial letter to INTERPOL, and MFI is developing a campaign to address this dangerous situation.
Please be aware, and consider sending your own letters to INTERPOL, to your representatives in government, to refugee rights organizations, and anyone you think might listen.
We will be in touch again soon with more campaign materials.
Maria’s brief letter to INTERPOL:
To whom it may concern:
The following PressTV clip from the Islamic Republic of Iran on March 13 2010 claims that the Islamic Republic has formally requested INTERPOL to arrest human rights activist Ahmed Batebi and another human rights activist who has sought asylum abroad.
I am very concerned about this situation, where the Islamic Republic is trying very hard to get refugee Iranian activists living abroad repatriated for purposes of detention and probable execution.
I would like to request that the Islamic Republic of Iran’s standing be withdrawn so that it can no longer submit such requests to INTERPOL. The Islamic Republic is a criminal entity in itself, and should not be allowed to use international tools of justice to extend its murderous reach beyond its borders.
Thanks very much,
March 15, 2010
– There is an excellent repository of letters to demand an end of INTERPOL collaboration with the criminal Islamic regime on file at stopterrorism.org – these letters provide plenty of talking points as well as more detail about the Iranian dissidents who are being added to INTERPOL’s arrest warrant list at the behest of the Islamic regime.
– This is a letter fom Canada’s Council in Support of People’s Struggles in Iran (Toronto-Canada)
شورای پشتیبانی از مبارزات مردم در ایران – تورنتو- کاناداwhich appears to be affiliated with the Worker-communist Party of Iran – Hekmatist, whose members were targeted first and most intensively.
– Swedish Kurds Demand Removal from INTERPOL List: A group of Swedish citizens accused by Iran of terrorism and other crimes demanded Wednesday that their names be removed from Interpol’s most-wanted list, and criticized the international police agency for honoring politically motivated requests.
– Following a complaint by a court in Shiraz to INTERPOL, French authorities disconnect the Los Angeles based Kanal-e Yek TV’s transmissions to Iran, and the INTERPOL website demands arrest of the television director Shahram Homayoun. In his television broadcasts Homayoun had urged the viewers to write anti-regime slogans on the currency and on walls. || Persian date 17 Esfand 1388
– The German judiciary and the Swedish government refute the Islamic Republic’s arrest warrants against opposition political figures. Wednesday March 31, 2010