This post contains:
A. Suggested tweets
B. Directions and frequently-asked questions for the tweetstorm
C. Brief background on the case of Zanyar & Loghman Moradi, 2 young political prisoners in Iran at imminent risk of execution
A. SUGGESTED TWEETS:
1. #FreeMoradis JOIN THE TWEET STORM to stop the execution of political prisoners in #Iran, Zanyar & Loghman Moradi.
2. #FreeMoradis Tweet Storm: find suggested tweets here on FB: http://on.fb.me/TI3XqP NOT ONE MORE EXECUTION IN #IRAN!
3. #FreeMoradis Sign the petition to stop the execution of political prisoners Zanyar & Loghman Moradi! http://www.gopetition.com/petition/41784.html #IRAN
4. #FreeMoradis Letter by death row prisoners Zanyar & Loghman Moradi remembering Farzad, Shirin & too many others http://iranhr.net/spip.php?article2482 #IRAN
5. #FreeMoradis NOT ONE MORE EXECUTION IN #IRAN! Stop the execution of Zanyar & Loghman Moradi! @intlcrimcourt @usmariaotero
6. #FREEMORADIS & ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS IN #Iran! IMMEDIATELY stop the execution of Zanyar & Loghman Moradi! @UN @usmariaotero @khamenei_ir
7. #FreeMoradis Take action with @Amnesty to stop the execution of political prisoners in #Iran Zanyar & Loghman Moradi http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/MDE13/010/2012/en/ef544c1f-9aee-469e-8314-900a9e5623a4/mde130102012en.html
8. #FreeMoradis We demand immediate & unconditional release of political prisoners Zanyar & Loghman Moradi! @eu_eeas @marietjed66 @khamenei_ir
9. #FreeMoradis Not one more execution in #Iran! Release political prisoners Zanyar & Loghman Moradi now! @eu_eeas @marietjed66 @khamenei_ir
10. #FreeMoradis Zanyar Moradi, Political Prisoner at Imminent Risk of Execution in Iran: To My Age-Mates Worldwide https://missionfreeiran.org/2013/01/07/letter-of-zanyar-moradi-political-prisoner-at-imminent-risk-of-execution-in-iran-to-all-of-my-age-mates-around-the-world-letter-writing-action-follows/
11. Zanyar Moradi: “I despise thinking abt my death; I don’t want to take my life aspiration to the grave.” #FreeMoradis https://missionfreeiran.org/2013/01/07/letter-of-zanyar-moradi-political-prisoner-at-imminent-risk-of-execution-in-iran-to-all-of-my-age-mates-around-the-world-letter-writing-action-follows/
12. Zanyar’s plea to young people around the world: “Please do not let them hang us!” https://missionfreeiran.org/2013/01/07/letter-of-zanyar-moradi-political-prisoner-at-imminent-risk-of-execution-in-iran-to-all-of-my-age-mates-around-the-world-letter-writing-action-follows/ #FreeMoradi @huffingtonpost
13. #Iran: URGENT: Execution of young political prisoners imminent j.mp/Zr4uBd #FreeMoradis
14. Video: Talk with Eqbal Moradi, father of Zanyar & uncle of Loghman, young political prisoners at risk of execution http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNGoxaps_Wg&feature=youtu.be
15. “Please use your youth, your creativity, & let this regime know we are not alone.” https://missionfreeiran.org/2013/01/07/letter-of-zanyar-moradi-political-prisoner-at-imminent-risk-of-execution-in-iran-to-all-of-my-age-mates-around-the-world-letter-writing-action-follows/ #FreeMoradis #IRAN @OLBLightBrigade
16. Zanyar & Loghman, 2 young cousins framed for murder, sentenced to death through hanging. They need us. #FreeMoradis @UN #Iran
17. Pls support us to stop execution of 2 young political prisoners Zanyar & Loghman Moradi! @brazilinusa @EmbajadaEEUUarg #FreeMoradis #IRAN
18. “Please use your youth, your creativity, & let this regime know we are not alone.” https://missionfreeiran.org/2013/01/07/letter-of-zanyar-moradi-political-prisoner-at-imminent-risk-of-execution-in-iran-to-all-of-my-age-mates-around-the-world-letter-writing-action-follows/ #FreeMoradis #IRAN @TPALightBrigade
19. URGENT PROTEST ACTION: STOP THE EXECUTION OF ZANYAR & LOGHMAN MORADI –SUN 13 JAN 1PM– WASHINGTON DC https://missionfreeiran.org/2013/01/08/free-moradis/ #FreeMoradis #IRAN
20. VIDEO: Mother of Zanyar Moradi asks that the regime in #Iran not execute her son. Kurdish w Farsi subs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wLct7j1cSI&feature=player_embedded #FreeMoradis
21. No to torture, no to political imprisonment & NO TO EXECUTION IN #IRAN! Release Zanyar & Loghman Moradi now! @khamenei_ir #FreeMoradis
22. News from Rajaei Shahr indicates young pol prisoners Zanyar & Loghman at imminent risk of execution http://iranhr.net/spip.php?article2676 #FreeMoradis #IRAN
23. #FreeMoradis JOIN THE TWEET STORM to stop execution of political prisoners in #Iran, Zanyar & Loghman! Tweets here (not FB): https://missionfreeiran.org/2013/01/09/tweetstorm-to-stop-the-execution-of-zanyar-loghman-moradi/
24. Stop Execution of Loghman & Zanyar! Protest Sun Jan13 @ 1pm #washington #DC 2209 Wisconsin Av NW #iran #FreeMoradis @ncadp
25. Regime in #Iran needs to kill to suppress society thru terror. WE SAY NO! STOP THE EXECUTION OF ZANYAR & LOGHMAN! #FreeMoradis @khamenei_ir
26. #Iran regime targeting Zanyar & Loghman b/c Zanyar’s dad’s a member of Komala #FreeMoradis @UN @StateDept @eu_eeas NO EXECUTION!
B. DIRECTIONS FOR TWEET STORM TO STOP EXECUTION OF ZANYAR & LOGHMAN MORADI IN IRAN: TUESDAY, 8 JANUARY AT 3PM EST, 7PM London, 12PM PST, 8PM Berlin, 10:30PM Tehran.
**** IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT TWEET STORMS
*** You need access to a Twitter account to participate ***
1. The list of tweets to use for the storm will be posted on the campaign’s FACEBOOK PAGE: http://on.fb.me/oX3gQu
2. You can copy the suggested tweets and paste straight to your Twitter account. Please make sure the special hashtag (#FreeMoradis) is included, along with the #IRAN hashtag if there is room.
3. Please do not use the special hashtag (#FreeMoradis) prior to the scheduled TweetStorm (3pm EST, 10:30pm Tehran time) as doing so reduces the chance of “trending” on Twitter.
4. Note that if you tweet too fast Twitter will detect it and consider your action spamming. One tweet a minute or every 40 seconds is good.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ):
WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?
A: You’re supposed to tweet content related to the goals of the campaign. You can either create your own original tweets or copy the tweets that the campaign has suggested. Just remember to include the special hashtag (#FreeMoradis) with every tweet.
WHY DO I NEED TO INCLUDE THE SPECIAL HASHTAG?
A: When you include the special hashtag (#FreeMoradis), you are ensuring that your tweet gets included in the campaign. In return, you contribute to the growth of the campaign. The more recognition the campaign gets, the more chance we have of trending the special hashtag on Twitter, which in turn brings even more attention to the campaign – and pressure on the regime to stop their execution.
DO I HAVE TO PARTICIPATE FOR THE FULL HOUR EVERY DAY?
A: No. You can even tweet only once if you wish. We should all participate as much as our time allows us. We should all just do our part to contribute to the success of the campaign.
IS IT TRUE THAT IF YOU TWEET TOO FAST TWITTER SUSPENDS YOUR ACCOUNT?
A: If you tweet too fast, Twitter will sense it and suspect you are spamming. In order to avoid any issues, it is best to tweet once every 40 seconds to a minute. Spacing out your tweets is very important.
CAN I PARTICIPATE IF I DON’T HAVE A TWITTER ACCOUNT?
A: No. You will need a Twitter account or access to one in order to participate in a Tweet Storm. You can simply open a Twitter account. It doesn’t have to be a personalized Twitter account with your personal or private information listed. Also, please make sure your Twitter account setting is set to public.
**** IMPORTANT ****
PLEASE BE CAREFUL HOW MANY TIMES YOU TWEET TO AN @ RECIPIENT. TWITTER WILL SUSPEND OR CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNT FOR SPAMMING IF YOU TWEET MULTIPLE TIMES TO AN @ RECIPIENT.
C. BRIEF BACKGROUND
This is an URGENT tweetstorm action in support of Zanyar and Loghman Moradi, two political prisoners in Iran at imminent risk of execution on trumped-up political charges (participation in a political opposition party) and criminal charges.
Eqbal Moradi, Zaniar Moradi’s father, who lives in the Kurdistan region of Iraq and is a high-ranking member of Komeleh, is also a co-defendant in the case. He said in an interview with human rights activists last year: “My son was arrested 20 months ago, and after 17 months, they leveled charges of murder and assassination against him even though he had no history of political activities. He was only studying and working. My son had absolutely no ties at any time with Komeleh or any other political group.”
He added: “During the period he was detained, we had no news of him except for the two times his grandparents were able to visit him [in prison]. During these visits Zaniar stated that they had brought up unsubstantiated charges against them. Zaniar thinks that the reason behind their arrest was to put pressure on me. They do not even allow my son to call his family and they do not allow visits.”
In an initial letter from prison, Zaniar and Loghman Moradi wrote in more detail about the fact that their confessions were extracted under torture. One part of the letter stated: “We are innocent. We are victims of the cruel and inhumane torture [we suffered at the hand of] the Sanandaj Ministry of Intelligence. We had no role in this [assassination]. We deny all the accusation they have leveled against us. We ask for the help of people around the world- in particular, the United Nations, Amnesty International…”
Zanyar Moradi stated in the letter: “In the early stages of interrogation, they asked about my father. I told them that my father has nothing to do with me. They told me, ‘You and your father are the same to us.’ The questions about my father occurred on the first day of interrogation. I was tied to a bed and lashed while vulgar language was used to insult me. After I lost consciousness, they returned me to my cell. When I did not accept to confess to the murder, they intensified their torture. They threatened me with sexual torture. They brought a bottle and said, ‘You either admit to the murder or you will have to sit on this bottle. You either confess or this is your other choice.’ I accepted because I was unable to withstand the tortures anymore. My testicles were bleeding and in pain. I could not bear the brutal tortures anymore. They did not even allow a doctor to see me.”